Flu season is fast approaching and now is the time to protect your family against the flu virus. What can you do? Although there is no method to protect your family 100%, making sure that each person in your house receives a flu vaccine offers up to 90% protection. Flu symptoms can mimic the common cold. However, flu symptoms are more severe.
The flu can knock you off your feet and keep you in bed, but despite feeling terrible, most people fully recover in about two weeks. Typical flu symptoms include a sore throat, body aches, a fever, congestion and coughing.
There is really no need to see a doctor, as many over-the-counter home remedies can effectively reduce the severity of flu symptoms. However, the flu virus can lead to a secondary infection. For this matter, consult a doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:
- A deep, dry cough with thick mucus (possible sign of bronchitis)
- An earache or drainage from the ear.
- A fever over 102° for adults and children, or 100.4° for children under three months
- A painful sore throat or difficulty swallowing
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing