There is an incremental number of patients ailing from influenza. It is therefore essential to create awareness as well as develop stronger vaccines. The viruses that cause influenza are sphere shaped. These viruses keep on changing which is the most problematic part. The main entrances of this virus to the body is through the mouth and the nose. The flu mostly affects people with low immune like the newborns, diabetic, expectant mothers and senior citizens among others. Kits have been developed to help in detecting the condition in its early stages. According to the experts, the early diagnosis will help the patient to get immediate medical attention. Most people are now using flu kits more often compared to the recent pasts.
Various Flu Kits
Below are the most known Quidel Quickvue influenza kits;
Solana Quidel Quickvue Influenza A+B Assay
Its main work is to amplify the viral RNA found in the transport media. The Viral RNA entails of nasal swab which is extracted from the symptomatic patients. The main features of this type of flu kits include;
- Durability before expiry
- It can be stored at room temperature.
- It is small and easy to use
- It can be stored in the fridge
Advantages of Solana Influenza A+B are
- There is no training needed, and in case of any, it is minimal. You just have to go through simple instructions.
- The kit can be used in smaller labs. Therefore, it only requires small capital.
- A freezer is optional.
Sofia Influenza A+B FIA
The kit uses advanced immunofluorescence founded on Lateral flow to detect Quidel Quickvue Influenza A and B nucleoprotein antigens. The kits features include;
- Objective results.
- Room temperature storage.
- Dual work modes.
- Fixed-volume pipette
The benefits are;
- They are easy to use and throw away.
- It adjusts to an individual’s volume fluctuation
- It doesn’t have to be stored in the fridge or freezer
It is effortless to detect influenza types A and B using QuickVue flu kit. It includes the following features;
- You will obtain results in less than 10 minutes.
- The procedure is only three steps.
- Single reagent involved.
- Two-color results.
Below are the benefits of Quick Vue
- It is very quick.
- The steps are very easy to perform without any guidance.
- There is no need for additional equipment since it is ready to use.
- There are less procedural inaccuracies.
- There is no training required
- Easy interpretation.
Purposes of The Test
You will receive the test results shortly after the flu is detected. The Food and Drug Administration has permitted many test kits for influenza. The Rapid Influenza Diagnostic has been approved to analyze and standardize results after the test.
Selecting the Tests
Consider the following factors while picking the finest tests;
- You should use tests forfeited by CLIA at the point of care.
- The tests that are more likely to yield high positive and negative predictive are those with high sensitivity and high specificity.
Clinical Factors to Consider When Testing the Prevalence of The Flu
If there is low influenza prevalence, it will be as a result of low positive predictive value. Therefore, it is difficult for false tests to take place. If the prevalence of the flu is low, then it is because of the negative predictive. It is imperative for the clinician to consider the clinical characteristics of the patient and the prevalence of the flu during the interpretation of positive results.